Care Coordinator (Health Homes Plus)
EAC Network, a not-for-profit social service agency that empowers, assists, and cares for over 54,000 people in need through 100 programs across Long Island and NYC, seeks a Care Coordinator (Health Homes Plus) to work full time for its Long Island (Nassau) Health Home program.
The Care Coordinator (Health Homes Plus) position is a non-exempt position paying $25-26 per hour at 35 hours per week. The hours of operation are Monday-Friday 9:00AM-5:00PM and the office is located in Hempstead, NY. The role reports to Supervisor.
Comprehensive benefits package includes:
• Very generous Paid Time Off (PTO) & More.
Primary Purpose of Job:
The Health Home Plus Care Coordinator conducts outreach, assessment and service planning to coordinate care for participants with severe mental illness (SMI) who may also have substance use disorders and/or chronic medical conditions. Works closely with clients to implement goals identified during the intake, assessment, reassessment, and care plan process. Maintains contact with the client’s extended family and support networks for coordination of care. Monitors client’s progress in utilizing services to achieve better health care outcomes while containing costs. Field work (approximately 75% of your time) required to maintain required contacts per month.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage a case load including up to 20 health home plus clients.
- Complete the required amount of billable contacts monthly with clients.
- Conduct home visits and community work in the field including visiting hospitals and emergency rooms.
- Gather information for and/or conduct outreach, intake, assessment, re-assessments and care plans.
- Provide care management to a caseload through the coordination of medical, mental health and substance use services.
- Implement activities to facilitate participant engagement.
- Participate in case conferences with health home team including, Case Managers and treatment providers.
- Ensure entitlements, insurance, and benefits are in place.
- Develop service plans and resolve barriers to effective service utilization.
- Responsible for assisting Health Home team members in implementing individualized care plans.
- Monitor client’s progress in utilizing services (appointments, treatment, medication, etc.) through telephonic and direct contact.
- Check that clients receive test results and track that clients follow up with medical directions.
- Escort clients to/from medical appointments when needed.
- Collaborate on care issues with internal clinicians and the participant’s assigned Health Home medical provider.
- Document service information in databases and use electronic systems to track participant activities.
- Assist in crisis intervention and provide or refer to crisis services.
- Ensure that clients follow up with aftercare discharge (i.e. fill prescriptions, make appointments).
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Masters Degree in social work or related field plus one year of experience or Bachelors Degree in social work or related field plus two years of experience. CASAC or High School Diploma or educational equivalent and significant combination of education and experience in criminal justice or working with substance using and/or mentally ill population considered.
- Experience providing medical, mental health or substance use focused care coordination services to individuals with Serious Mental Illness, developmental disabilities, substance use disorders, or linking those individuals to services required. Experience in criminal justice preferred.
- Knowledge of health care environments, clinical terminology and health information systems strongly preferred.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, interpersonal skills, verbal and written communication skills required.
- Must be proficient in computer applications or other automated systems such as spreadsheets, Microsoft Office applications, calendar, email and/or database software necessary to perform work assignments.