EAC Network, a not-for-profit social service agency that empowers, assists, and cares for over 54,000 people in need through 100 programs across Long Island and NYC, seeks a Veteran Peer Mentor to work full time for its Queens Misdemeanor Treatment Veteran’s Court Program. Job seekers with prior experience working with the Veteran population or have lived experience as a Veteran are highly encouraged to apply!
The Veteran Peer Mentor position is a non-exempt position paying $16-18 per hour. The hours of operation are Monday-Friday 9:00AM-5:00PM. The office is located in Queens, NY. The role reports to Program Director.
Comprehensive benefits package includes:
• Very generous Paid Time Off (PTO) & More.
Primary Purpose of Job:
The Veteran Peer Mentor is responsible for providing on-going culturally responsive and appropriate support for clients referred to the program by fostering positive relationships with QMVTC program participants and facilitating groups. As well as assist the Coordinator in creating a volunteer peer mentor program for the Court.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participate in planning for services for clients, through face-to-face meetings and facilitation of group discussions.
- Assist program participants in completing required assignments.
- Meet with clients on an on-going, as needed basis on and off-site and be available via email and cell phone for support, advice, and guidance
- Participate in team meetings.
- Participate in regularly scheduled on-going trainings and supervision
- Assist in connecting clients to community-based support resources, clubhouses, and other ancillary services.
- Maintain client charts and notes, update after each interaction with the client and have available for inspection by supervision at any time.
- Escort clients to appointments.
- Assist the Coordinator in engaging and training peer volunteers to provide support for the clients.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Required:
- Minimum High School Diploma or educational equivalent. Peer Mentor program completion or certification preferred.
- Experience working with vulnerable populations.
- Must have good communication skills, both oral and written.
- Ability to work cooperatively with multiple agencies.
- Knowledge of target population and area resources.
- Experience with group facilitation preferable.
- Experience using cognitive behavioral therapies, motivational interviewing and/or positive youth development preferable.
- Must be proficient in computer applications and email and/or software necessary to perform work assignments.
This position requires the incumbent to provide acceptable proof of COVID-19 vaccination.